Sunday, January 18, 2009

A glimpse of love

There are times in my life when I get a small glimpse of how our God may feel about us. That He loved us so much He gave His son for us. Those moments that my heart felt so big that it could swell right out of my chest. The first moment I heard the heartbeat of my first child and realized that only an amazing God could create a life inside of me. The first moment I laid eyes on him and I memorized every part of his little face and knew there was no way I wouldn’t recognize him in a room full of babies. Even in the middle of the night when I so badly wanted to sleep, hearing the sigh of contentment when only I could provide him the food he needed. When his face lit up into a smile that was intended only for me and his blue eyes sparkled with joy. The first time I returned to him and his face lit up and he ran to me like I was all that mattered in the world. Even the times that he was sick or hurt and all I wanted to do was take it on me so that he didn’t have to be in pain. The first day of school when I thought my heart would crumple into pieces because my baby was growing up. Every one of those times was a moment that God was whispering to my heart, “I love you, Sarah, 70 times 7 more than you are feeling right now.” Today was another one of those days.

We have brought our children up in the church and prayed with them and for them since even before they were born. We have taught them, and loved them, and answered their questions. The rest is up to them and the working of the Holy Spirit. Caleb has been asking a lot of questions in the last few weeks, and it finally led to him acknowledging the fact that Jesus is His Lord and Savior. At first he was apprehensive about baptism as he is very shy, but as it approached, he looked forward to it and how it was a testimony to all who saw that he was following in obedience to what God asks of us. I am always moved when I watch baptisms but today was personal, watching my sweet little boy step down into the water and unashamedly declare before all that Jesus is his Lord. I feel honored that God has blessed me with two incredible children to love and cherish and teach about Him, and how humbling it is as a parent when you see the fruits of your labor respond to the voice in his heart. Thank you Lord for loving me more than I can ever imagine, and for giving me the privilege to raise Your children as my own and love them as much as I humanly know how!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Praise the Lord! We are so proud of you Caleb! Uncle Derek, Aunt Denise, Brice, Ashlyn & Avery

John and Joanna said...

Sarah!
That was a beautiful testament of our sweet Savior!!
I am so proud of Caleb! And so happy for ya'll, i can't imagine that feeling as a parent.
Rejoicing with all of you :)

Connie McWhorter said...

Sarah, thank you so much for including me in this most wonderful moment in your son's life. He is such a precious little boy that I have loved for a long time. What a joy to spend eternity with him!
Love you all, Connie Mc

Kody and Corby Brooks said...

That is so awesome! Kody and I were not at church on Sunday, so thank you so much for sharing this with me! God is so good! :-)

cimmi land said...

Thanks for sharing that Sarah! I know you must be so proud. I loved reading what you wrote and can only imagine how I will feel when my children choose to follow Christ. Very proud of your son for his descision to follow.