I told you in my last post that I signed up to review books and yesterday I received my first free copy from Thomas Nelson Publishers called The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews. I have to say I was not let down in the least as you can see since I finished it in one day! Author Andrews tells of some interesting historical artifacts he unearthed in his yard that led him down an interesting path of investigating the story behind them. In the summer of 1942 in the midst of World War II, German submarines have been dispatched to the United States coastline to sink U.S. vessels. One night along the Alabama shoreline, Helen Mason stumbles across an injured German soldier. Due to their bitter pasts and unforeseen present, they have every reason to hate each other. They are suddenly thrust into circumstances that will change them forever. This is a story of true forgiveness and the power it has over the human spirit. My interest was peaked immediately by the artifacts that Andrews found and the pictures he includes. I found myself wanting to know the story as much as he did. The characters and the stories behind their lives opened my eyes to the realities of war and the choices that many were forced to make regardless of how they felt. We all struggle with forgiveness in some way and Andrews brings to light the power that an unforgiving heart can have over anyone's life.
I enjoyed this book immensely and put it down thinking a lot about forgiveness in my own life and where I have allowed bitterness and anger cripple and control me at times. I highly recommend The Heart Mender to anyone as it is filled with historical accuracy, great storytelling, and an inspiring message.
For those of you that are interested, Thomas Nelson publishers was nice enough to send me an extra copy to give away on my blog. If you are interested in reading it and sharing it with the people in your lives, leave me a comment on my blog and I will put your names in a hat and randomly choose a winner. You will have until Friday evening at 5:00 CST. Looking forward to hearing from all of you!
5 comments:
That is normally not a book I would choose to pick up but it sounds so interesting! You are such a great writer - you should just write books and then have people review and blog about your books. Even if I don't win, I am going to put this book on my list. Thanks!
It sounds VERY interesting! Exactly the type of book I'd be in to. I think I'll grab one for myself and one for my mom/stepdad, they are history buffs. Thanks for sharing.
I have to say that I am intrigued. I already have a list of people in my head who I would share the book with... After I read it, of course.
Lisa P.
Hi Sarah,
The book sounds very good, especially if you read it in one day. Put me in the raffle.
Love, Dad
Sarah,
I just finished reading the book and I LOVED it!! Great story and powerful message. I am excited to pass it around to my friends.
Thank you!
lisa
Post a Comment